June 1915 Graham Sanford sold his Reno Printing Company to William S. Lunsford and that year joined with Samual Platt, a Carson City Attorney and George Sanford, Platt’s law partner and Graham Sanford’s associate in the Indiana paper, to purchase the Gazette newspaper.
Transcontinental Highway Exposition which celebrated the completion of the last link of the cross-continental highway, later to be known as U.S. Highway 40.
April 1927 Lunsford built an attractive building to house an enlarged Reno Printing Company plant on Center Street between the Gazette and Fordonia Building. The second floor accommodated the first advertising agency in Nevada, the firm of Bracking and Ness.
Lunsford was a devoted supporter of the University of Nevada and his enlarged Reno Printing Company provided many part-time jobs for university students.
1931, after the untimely death of William S. Lunsford, operation of the Reno Printing Company was assumed by Mr. and Mrs. Frost with Harry J. Frost as the manager and the company shared in Reno’s prosperity of the 1940s and 50s.
After a variety of owners it finally settled in a former bowling alley at 124 North Center Street.
October 1939, the Reno Evening Gazette was sold by the Sanfords to Speidel Newspapers, Inc., publisher of several newspapers in medium sized communities across the country and on the following November 1st Speidel acquired the Nevada State Journal, giving it the Reno newspaper field. Although there were plans for a new plant, the advent of World War II put these plans on the shelf.
For reasons of economic operation, consolidation of operation in the Gazette Building began and so did the mad scramble on Center Street.
Arrangements to vacate the Journal office across Center Street began and the Journal moved to the temporary offices around the corner. Reno Printing Company moved its mass of printing machinery across the street. Western Union turned its cables into the Lunsford Building and transferred all of its electronic gear next door.
September 1945, at war’s end, plans for a new building were revived.
A new site was chosen on West Second Street with access to railroad sidings. An ill-advised strike by the Newspaper Guild, supported by the Typographical Union, brought some delay.
August 1960, the new Gazette Journal Building was occupied and the Gazette Building vacated to make way for a parking garage for First National Bank. Reno City Hall had given way for the same purpose.
September 30, 1983, The last Reno Evening Gazette was printed, to be followed by a Reno Gazette-Journal, a seven-day morning newspaper.
Reno Printing Company soon was to have new owners and a new plant in Reno’s new southeast industrial area; a plant with modern equipment and sophisticated methods that would amaze Graham Sanford and William S. Lunsford.
The last trace of printing ink has vanished from Center Street with only a few memories in the mind of a few Center Street ancients.
April 1983 Richard M. Stout, a former Speidel and Gannett Newspaper Executive and George M. Stout, a Reno attorney purchased Reno Printing Company from Darrell Jason and Jerry Butler. Butler and Jason had purchased the company from Dr. Don Ross Laudon, a Reno physician, nine years earlier. Laudon purchased the company from Harry and Ethel Lunsford Frost upon Harry’s retirement as manager.
2002, Reno Printing was purchased by Micheal Elliott and was moved into the facility where it now resides on Matley Lane in Reno NV.